Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wednesday

I decided late this afternoon that I couldn't pass up the chance to see the Moaners (they never tour the north), even if it meant I might miss the Circle Jerks. It was the right call; the Moaners were fantastic despite a sparse audience, and I was able to meet Melissa Swingle after their set.

I rushed down to Emo's just before the Circle Jerks were about to go on and thought I'd never make it in, as the line snaked down the block. But it moved fairly quickly, and I caught most of their set. Their cover of the Soft Boys' "I Wanna Destroy You" was a highlight for me.

Juliette Lewis' new band was sandwiched between the Circle Jerks and Echo and the Bunnymen, which made for an odd lineup. Juliette Lewis has a great voice (listen to her PJ Harvey covers in the movie Strange Days), but as a musician, she's always lacked solid material. Her original songs are alternately very generic and very corny. But I have to say, as a performer, she works it. Her stage persona is wild and tacky, bordering on camp(among her moves: some sort of frantic dog paddle over the crowd). I half expect her to announce she's researching her new role in the Janet Jopler biopic. Overall, she comes off as completely insane, and I'm incredibly happy I caught her set. Funniest moment of the night - Juliette: "We've got two more songs!" Random audience member: "You're kidding me!"

Emo's was packed by the time Echo and the Bunnymen went on at 1 AM, and the body heat was overwhelming. Nevertheless, Ian McCulloch hit the stage in a black hoodie and pea coat and wore them through the entire set. Lots of great songs ("The Cutter", "Lips Like Sugar", "Back of Love", "Seven Seas", "Rust" - abruptly stopped because Mac said it was "too sad") and lots of incomprehensible between song banter. I'm pretty sure this was the original lineup of the band - minus Pete de Freitas, of course. I'll have to look that up later.

Bonus: We shared an elevator with Justin Kirk (Andy Botwin from Weeds). There was an incredibly drunk woman who knew she recognized him, and the conversation went something like this:

Drunk woman: I know you! I fucking know you! Who are you? Did I fuck you?
Justin Kirk: Yes.
Drunk woman: I fucked you? How was it?
Justin Kirk: Bad. But good for you, though. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment