Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friday Night

I made in to see the Sonics last night. They put on a solid show, though it seemed to lack the raucousness of their recordings. A small complaint, I guess, given the band's age. And there was a large number of younger fans in attendance. It was nice to see the kids enjoying that brand of Little Richard-inspired rock.


From there, we headed off to Red 7 to catch the Dollyrots, the Girls, and the Cute Lepers. I like the Dollyrots, but their set seemed a little sloppy. I couldn't tell if it was a sound problem or a performance problem but something was lacking. The Girls were entertaining enough for me to buy a disc, and the Cute Lepers were
great. Very tight and choreographed.


Then I had to make the hardest decision of the week: Devo or the Dolls? I'd been leaning toward the Dolls all week, and that's where we went. As soon as they walked on stage, I knew I'd made the right choice. They ripped through several songs from the first album and a couple from One Day, as well as two new songs. The new material sounded pretty great and got me excited for the new Rundgren produced album. I don't know why they always ignore Too Much Too Soon live, though. It's one of my all-time favorite albums, and the Dolls seem to prefer it didn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment