Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rhapsody

We kicked off the day at the Rhapsody Party. We were given press
passes (nor sure why) but the VIP status meant no waiting in line plus
free booze and tacos.

The Vivian Girls were good, but after a few songs, they all started to
sound the same. I love their sound, though. When they're all singing
together, they have this ethereal Valkyrie death howl kind of thing
going on. And I mean that in a good way.

Wavves was not so good. I really don't understand all the hype around
that guy. It reminded me of being at a party where some dude says,
"Let me play you this song I wrote."

I saw School of the Seven Bells a few months ago at Barking Tuna, and
though I like their sound, they're a little boring live.

Glasvegas was fucking great. They have a very late-eighties sound and
remind me of The Mighty Lemondrops both in style and appearance. The
drummer plays standing up, Moe Tucker-style, and there's tons of echo,
giving them that booming Phil Spector sound.

Tonight it's off to Elysium to see Peter Murphy.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment