Friday, March 20, 2009

Damn You, Rabbit!

I "rocked the rabbit" a little too hard last night, taking full advantage of the free Jack Daniels at the Playboy party and am suffering my first full-fledged hangover in Austin. The rumored Jane's reunion actually happened after a seemingly endless set by some DJ I've never heard of (because I like watching musicians, not people who play other people's music on a turntable). The couple hours I spent in the old Safeway -- the strange locale for the party -- before Jane's was pretty intolerable (except for the free booze), but when Jane's hit the stage, they surpassed all, admittedly low, expectations, opening with "Three Days" and plowed through a series of rockers ("Whores," "Standing in the Shower Thinking," "Had a Dad," "Oceansize," "Ted Just Admit It," and many others). It was enough for me to nearly forgive Dave Navarro for being such a reality TV whore.

We got up early this morning to see Little Steven's presentation at the Convention Center. He was very funny and a little cantankerous, but I'm not sure if I agreed with his core message that the music industry sucks because musicians suck these days. He argued for more proficient, more produced, and more polished music as in the days of the old songwriting and production teams. It seems strange coming from a man who champions bands like the Ramones, Dead Boys and the Patti Smith Group. They were anything but polished and produced.

We then headed off to Antone's to spend the afternoon at the Underground Garage party, emceed by Little Steven. The Krayolas were good, but I was a little puzzled when they introduced their new single "Twelve Heads in a Bag," apparently inspired by a news report from Mexico City. Are you supposed to dance and cheer to songs about mass murder? Seems a little gloomy for single. We also caught the Cocktail Slippers (plagued by technical problems and a bad mix), The Bo-Keys with Roy Head, and The Breakers. And holy fuck do The Breakers put on a good show.

Heather went back to the room, and I went to catch a couple songs by Girl in a Coma at a proper venue. They started late, and the desire to eat made it a short visit.

We also caught a short set by Dressy Bessy. They were crammed into a tiny stage and not too happy with the sound guy, but they still managed to put on a great show. Adorable singer Tammy Ealom was wearing white hot pants and go-go boots, though, and made me feel like a total letch, as I found it difficult to avert my eyes.

I nearly caused an international incident by confusing the Australia Party with the New Zealand Party, which was too full to get into. Sad, as that was my last chance to catch Ladyhawke.

Off to stand in line for the Sonics...

No comments:

Post a Comment