Thursday, March 15, 2012

Too Old for Hardcore

Started out the day at the Cro-Mags/Fear show. I'm not really familiar with the Cro-Mags, as my hardcore tastes are pretty narrow. They put on a good show, but there's something really off-putting about all the aggro shit at hardcore shows. Actually, that sounds vague...let me rephrase: all the aggro shit at hardcore shows is really off-putting. I understand that the genre lends itself to aggression and violent imagery, but I get really nervous when I see a bunch of angry dudes swinging fists and getting all primal. And when the Cro-Mags started ranting about Bilderberg and "Street Justice", they lost me. It is possible to dig hardcore without being an angry douchebag. That's why I love Keith Morris and his peace-and-love surfer dude persona and Bad Brains' enlightenment version of hardcore. At least have a sense of humor. That's why I enjoyed Fear's set so much more; Lee Ving is a funny guy. Despite the fact that Mr. Boddy is starting to look like Ron Paul with a bad dye-job, Fear killed it. Given his extreme right-wing tendencies, maybe Ving really doesn't care about you (fuck you!), but his levity certainly makes it seem tongue-in-cheek.

Random observations about the show:

- I'm not sure if bringing your five-year-old to a Fear show is awesome or child endangerment - maybe both

- If you're going to crowd surf in a kilt, for fuck's sake, wear underwear

- Things that seem dangerous in a pit: skateboards, lit cigarettes, sticking your tongue out

- When did it become a thing to spray your beer or to hurl beer cans and cups into the pit? It seems excessively mean and a waste of beer

- The B.O., good Lord, the B.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment