Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day One

I had a fairly laid-back first day in Austin, determined not to wear myself out too early in the week. After Vic and I met for dinner, we went next door to The Belmont to the Daniel Johnston Space Ducks launch party. I was there primarily to see Johnston and Built to Spill, but we saw several other artists not listed on the schedule. On the plus side, we saw Caveman (reminiscent of the Church, always a good thing in my book), Jeffrey Lewis, and Kimya Dawson. However, we also had to sit through a couple of solo acoustic guys that were less entertaining. After the Irish solo acoustic guy launched into a dreadful cover of "Hey Jude", I decided it was more than I could take, and Vic and I headed to Buffalo Billiards to shoot a few games of pool, missing Built to Spill and Daniel Johnston.

I had not been terribly impressed by Kimya Dawson in the past (though I'll admit that I only know her work as the Moldy Peaches), but I really enjoyed her set. In particular, a song that she wrote for her now five-year-old daughter got me all misty since I'm missing Eli so much this trip. I'm excited to check out her work with Jeffrey Lewis as The Bundles.

No comments:

Post a Comment